Tuesday, November 30, 2010

“A compliment is verbal sunshine”

Everyone enjoys being complimented.  It something that brightens your day, especially when you receive one when you least expect it.  I don't remember the last time I was overwhelmed with compliments.  It seems that we, as people interacting with other people every day, don't hand out compliments enough.

Today was an awesome day at work.   There were so many happy customers, I almost didn't know what to do.  It's the holiday season and something about the holidays makes people grouchy.  They come in, they grab what they want and then they stomp over to the register, fuss about return policies, and interrogate about gift receipts. I think that's mostly why I dread going to work during the holiday season.  So today was a little bit of a surprise. People were so nice to me!  I was complimented on my smile, my knowledge of the products, my skill with the helicopters, and my overall attitude towards work and customers.  Each compliment came from a different customer.  People addressed me by name and one man even asked to speak to my manager so he could tell him to give me a raise.  It was awesome.

Compliments are the start of a domino effect.  Someone pays you a compliment, your day brightens, you feel better about things so you smile more and are more polite and may end up complimenting someone else.  And then it continues on to make someone else's day that much better.

I issue this challenge: Compliment someone tomorrow.  Compliment three people tomorrow.  Compliment the checker at the grocery store or the man who holds the elevator for you.  Compliment your coworkers and your family.  Compliment everyone you come in contact with!

I promise you that if you make the effort to make as many compliments as you can, your day will be brighter and you will be happier.

Spread the sunshine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My compliments to the Blogger. :D