Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Day 11: My favorite recipe

I was torn between posting a pie recipe and this chicken recipe.  When I thought about it, I figured most of you would benefit more if I posted the chicken recipe...so here you go.  This is what I have every year on my birthday.  It's my favorite.  I've even turned this into an ebelskiever recipe and used the sauce for dipping.  It was delicious.

RITZ GRILL CHICKEN


Serves 8


8 skinless boneless chicken breast halves
1 cup (approx.) extra-virgin olive oil
½ cup snipped fresh rosemary
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
¼ cup clarified butter*
1 cup butter
¾ cup white grape juice
4 shallots, minced
2 lemons, juiced
½ cup chopped parsley (optional)

Slightly flatten chicken breasts, so they are similar in thickness (I like to cover them with plastic wrap.  it helps contain the mess). Brush both sides with olive oil and sprinkle with rosemary, salt and pepper. Over moderately high heat, melt 2 tablespoons oil and clarified butter in large skillet. Cook chicken 3 to 5 minutes each, until just barely done (meat thermometor should read 165). Keep warm. Meanwhile, combine juice and shallots in saucepan. Cook over high heat until reduced by half. Add butter, lemon juice, parsley, salt and pepper. When butter is partially melted removed from heat and whip with a wire whisk to thicken slightly. Pour some sauce over chicken breasts and serve the rest on the side.

*Clarified butter:

Plain butter will burn and speckle rapidly (especially when cooking over high heat) because of the milky residue it contains. When you clarify the butter you rid it of that residue. Cut butter into smallish pieces and bring it to a slow boil in a fairly roomy saucepan. Listen and watch for several minutes until crackling and bubbling almost cease. At this point watch that the butter does not burn and darken. Pour the clear yellow butter through a tea strainer into a jar. It will and will keep for several months in the refrigerator.


Takes about 30 minutes.

1 comment:

Miriam Herm said...

I think you should post both recipes. And this Ritz Grill Chicken IS divinely good. Ryan loves it, too.