Thursday, January 27, 2011

Day 3: The Favorite Movie

There are a lot of movies that I could call my favorite, but I'm gonna stick with the one that generally comes to mind first.  The Fall.

There aren't words for me to describe how much I love this movie.  It's visually stunning, the plot is simple but heavy, the humor is quickly but very funny, and the acting is superb.  I'm a Pushing Daisies fan, so falling in love with Lee Pace's portrayal of Roy wasn't unexpected. However, the real star of the movie is Catinca Untaru, a 10 year old girl from Romania.  I just want to squish her face because she's so adorable.  She plays the part of Alexandria pretty much flawlessly.  I have no criticisms for her, especially because she didn't even speak English before the shooting of this film began.  She is one heck of an actress.  

This movie tugs at my heartstrings.  It makes me ache for Roy and his pain, melt with Alexandria and her love for him, and sit in awe at the beauty it shows.  It's about a stunt double in the 1920's who's been hospitalized. He befriends a young immigrant girl and begins telling her this story, which we see the way she imagines it in her mind.  I don't want to give away the whole plot, but it is a heavy movie.  The themes presented are fairly dark but portrayed so well.  I love this movie.

I recommend this movie to anyone who wants to dive into a beautiful, mature film.  





"What a mystery this world, one day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over."

No comments: