Tuesday, October 6, 2009

I forget what I know

So I speak spanish, right? I'm majoring in the language. I'm not quite fluent yet, but I still know a lot and have the ability to communicate rather well. I think being away from spanish grammar and class makes me forget how much I actually know. This week I encountered a couple reminders.

The other night I picked my brother up from the movies and he told me he was having a lot of trouble in his spanish class. I offered to help, so when we got home I got out my old text book and he got out his and his notes and I explained the things he was struggling with. He understood them. He's in spanish three right now, which is the last class I took in high school (I struggled with spanish in high school) and now, after having taken so much in college, that stuff is a piece of cake. I forgot how well I know it now.

Last night at ward FHE one of the guys, Seth, brought a girl with him who's from Mexico. She spoke very little english and was having trouble communicating with a couple girls who were trying to talk to her, so I jumped in and helped them understand each other better. After the game started (broom hockey. I sat out because of my asthma) she and I started talking a bit about the game and what she's doing out here. It was really cool because it was mostly spanish, but a little english.

I forgot how much I like speaking spanish. I forgot how much I know. I now remember why I want to major in it so badly. I think I'm going to go buy some spanish books and read them...

1 comment:

Miriam Herm said...

was the mexican girl from the branch? we have a couple that are young single adult ward aged and if seth and you want to do some befriending. . .