Friday, October 8, 2010

"I've never been so alone. And I've never been so alive"

There's something about the Third Eye Blind song Motorcycle Drive By that gets me.  It makes me feel sort of sad, but also sort of relieved.  It's kind of hard to explain what emotion it stirs up.  All I know is I heard it on my way home tonight and I fell in love all over again.  If I had to pick a song for my life at this exact moment, it would be this one.
It's beautiful.

Motorcycle Drive By
Summer time and the wind is blowing outside 
In lower Chelsea and I don't know 
What I'm doing in this city
The sun is always in my eyes
It crashes through the windows 
And I'm sleeping on the couch 
When I came to visit you 
That's when I knew
That I could never have you
I knew that before you did 
Still I'm the one who's stupid

And there's this burning
Like there's always been
I've never been so alone
And I've never been so alive

Visions of you on a motorcycle drive by 
The cigarette ash flies in your eyes 
And you don't mind, you smile.
And say the world, it doesn't fit with you 
I don't believe you, you're so serene 
Careening through the universe 
Your axis on a tilt, you're guiltless and free 
I hope you take a piece of me with you

And there's things I would like to do
That you don't believe in
I would like to build something
But you'll never see it happen

And there's this burning 
Like there's always been 
I've never been so alone 
And I've, I've never been so alive

And there's this burning, aaa-oh
There is this burning, yeah yeah yeah

Where's the soul I want to know
New York City is evil
The surface is everything
But I could never do that
Someone would see through that

And this is our last time
We'll be friends again
I'll get over you, you'll wonder who I am

And there's this burning
Just like there's always been
I've never been so alone, alone
And I, and I, I've never been so alive
So alive

I go home to the coast
It starts to rain I paddle out on the water, alone
Taste the salt and taste the pain
I'm not thinking of you again

Summer dies and swells rise
The sun goes down in my eyes
See this rolling wave
Darkly coming to take me home

And I've never been so alone
And I've never been so alive 



No comments: