Wednesday, November 3, 2010

"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion"

It's no secret that I love Halloween.  I've got a closet full of costumes to prove it.  This year I went all out.  Four costumes.

First I wore my new Princess Lolly (candyland character) costume to the institute halloween party.  I made it in about three days and it turned out alright.  It wasn't what I envisioned, but it was pretty darn cute.  Except when the lollipops on the dress stabbed me in the leg whenever I sat down.  Still, it was legit.

Second was the regional Halloween party.  I went as some form of jester, I don't really know.  It's a recycled costume.  At one point it was my sisters when she was of trick-or-treating age and then I snagged it to use for whatever shindigs I could.  Really, I just like the idea of getting dressed up and then going to be with people.  I think halloween gives me an opportunity to carry my childhood dress up games into my adult life without feeling too foolish.  Which is why I wanted to wear a different costume to every event.

Two nights before halloween I went to a church dance in Santa Monica.  Now, I've been to some pretty large dances, but this one put them all to shame.  Over 2000 people showed up.  The gym where the dance was was packed from wall too wall.  I had trouble moving around in there because I was dressed as a zombie grandma and my walker wouldn't fit through the crowd easily.  Plus the blood on my costume was pretty sticky and I didn't want to get it all over people.  Even though I spent the majority of the time out in the courtyard chasing Rick around trying to take a bite out of his arm, I learned that walkers make excellent dance props.  Tons of fun.

Fourth costume was footie pajamas and a blanket.  I wore this out to take my niece and nephew trick-or-treating.  Ava asked me what I was going to wear that night, so I felt obligated to bust out another costume.

I love halloween.   I love dressing up.  I love seeing little kids being excited to dress up.  I made my brother James an Aladdin costume and he loved it.  It's a silly holiday, but it's so much fun.

Jonny and myself as zombie grandparents

1 comment:

Miriam Herm said...

THe most impressive about your fourth costume was the fact that you just BUSTED it out. like it was no big deal. I can't do that.

So glad you got some sort of Halloween happiness. We need it in this family.